Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thing 10

I looked around second life and though I understand the basic idea of an alter ego-I would not continue to play something like this. I don't even like playing video games except for Rock Band-I do play that. I would much rather go into a different world through a really good book or a movie. Since I got netflixs, I have been watch a lot of documentaries and been exposed to new ideas and ways of thinking. I just don't see how I would ever want to do something like second life. I mean I just am not interested. Give me a book or TCM! (Tunner Classic Movies)
Now from an art viewpoint, I could see using this as a springboard for my students to create their own avatars and create an imaginary world, but I certainly would never play something like this in front of them. I guess I am just too old school for this. I do have students who do cos play and role playing games-many spend all day and all their money on re-creating their identity and I can see how that could be fun to role play all day as someone else. They keep detailed journals with photographs that they have shared with me and it looks like it means a lot to them. I know that in Japan, they take these second life games very seriously-many even going to work as the character that they are in this altered world. Don't think that would go over well with SBISD if I came to school as gooder lionheart.
I did think the concept was interesting but I just wouldn't stay with it.

3 comments:

  1. I hated this too. I think kids need to learn how to socialize FOR REAL. I also thought there was more chance of inappropriate interactions b/c there were some weirdos there when I went in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!I was afraid reading all the warning info about getting ripped off-I have enough of that in my real world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was kind of interesting for me. I tried to talk to someone in Second Life and it was really weird, but in general I remember feeling very lonely in that world. My 1st grader picked it right up, but she is so computer oriented, and they have little virtual worlds similar to it for kids (which kind of scares me because they could be talking to a 40-year-old man). Gosh how times have changed. I'm not interested in Second Life either, but I guess to each their own. And it's interesting to know it exists...

    ReplyDelete