Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thing 11

This was by far the best and perhaps most important lesson. I have bookmarked many of the different links so that I may go back and refresh my understanding. This is a huge issue and one that may get worse before it gets better unless all educators and parents understand this cyberworld.
My 5 lessons would have to be 6.

1.Give credit where credit is due-don't seal-it is not fair to you or the person you took it from whether it is a report, music, or a video clip. As several of the sites said-check the fine print.

2. As Frank said on Dragnet:"Just the facts." Check up on the site or the person you are reading. Get more than one source when doing any kind of fact finding. And don't just use Wikipedia-anyone can put those facts online and they may not be true.

3.Before giving your name, address, phone number, etc. to any site look for the s after http-especially if you are buying something.Never use your full name to post. When TAEA posts art work created by students, we only use their first name-nothing else.

4. Use manners online be careful what you say and how you say it. Remember, people can interprete what is said in a way that you never intended. In an email to a parent, I though I was saying I hope you do well to my student for his tennis game but the parent read it as I hope he does well on my final. Not at all what I meant to say but the same words.

5. Spellcheck-this is my best friend since I can not spell and it checks your gramme. Even my paper this morning had a typo in their running of the Declaration of Independence-they did not capitalize United for United States of America. So spell check and read aloud to yourself before you submit. I have gone back a edited several of my posts here and I bet I still have errors.

6. Use the Internet wisely-text wisely-protect your identity.

3 comments:

  1. Great common sense but still very important lessons. It's always the most simple ideas that students sometimes don't pay as much attention to, but that's why they need us to help them be more technologically responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son's tell me I am not doing a good enough job-I need to put everything into word then post-
    good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: #4 -- people CAN really take emails differently. On another note, I wanted to use more than 30 seconds of a song for a book trailer I created, which breaks copyright law unless you get permission. I went to the artist's website and contacted someone who represented her and they gave me permission. I was so excited, and surprised at how easy it was.

    ReplyDelete