Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thing 6

Ok ya'll have given me just one more reason to want a MAC-I tried to keep and hide my green mac that I used to have in my classroom-I loved it's old school lines! But the ipad is just the coolest thing I have seen. My son has one and I spent time playing with it this week- looking at the aps. It is so easy to use, fast, and such a sharp image. I went to the online apple store and looked under aps for art and low and behold they have the Louvre collection ap and the National Gallery ap-on my son's ipad it was an awesome experience-you can type in a word like hope and it would bring up multi images of paintings that expressed hope-I was looking under Da Vinci so hope gave me 20 Madonna faces painted by him.
I did a photostory during CEDFA on a imac which brought up all kinds of tools that I do not have on my dell-one of the other art teachers there had an iphone so he took a group picture -then using his phone he changed all the colors and made all of us look very surreal. I have been allowing my students to use their camera phones for their homework assignments and I have been blow away by the quality of pictures that they have taken and altered right on their phones. Then they just email them to me and I grade it from my computer. One girl took such beautiful pictures that I printed them out on quality computer photo paper and she entered them in Jr. Vase. Both images earned her a gold medal. I see apple as leading the way to how to engage children in the classroom. I really wish we had more mac in SBISD. Guess I will go to the store and get an ipad-I really think I deserve and need one especially for visual arts.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gooder - I enjoyed all of your posts, especially the conversational tone. (I was worried I wasn't using enough techno-lingo in mine...) I was actually floored by the wide range of subject matter on the i-phone in the educational app section alone, both free and for-purchase. Like you, I found loads of art apps and was pleasantly surprised. It is nice that art is not excluded but truely INcluded in the expanding world of technology. In the coming years it will be interesting to see how technology changes the art scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already is happening-there is a guy in New York who paint portraits from life using his ipad and a paint brush ap plus all the things my kids can do with altering their photographs.
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I avoided the iPhone for awhile and finally got one and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I'm not a big App person, but my daughter has put a bunch of games on it and it is great for her to play with at restaurants or places we have to wait. I am also impressed with how quality the pictures and video I take are. I love that if we are out somewhere and my daughter is doing something cute, I can just start recording it. I also played with the iPad this summer and I love it! It's easier to type on and is more like a computer that you could stick in your purse. We are getting two for the library this coming year!!! I love Macs and recently switched to a Mac at home. However, our district isn't set up to support Macs and we have had a lot of network problems with them (I have had tons of problems in the library) and I heard the district isn't going to be purchasing any more. I have had no problems with mine at home. Cool about the art -- and it's so great to be able to grade things online! I think it would be so fun to be an art teacher.

    ReplyDelete