Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thing 5

Facebook is a lot of fun if you have time-we have been warned at our school against having any contacts with our students on Facebook. I can honestly see how it would work if all played by the rules, but these are kids that we are working with and they do crazy things without thinking. We have had issues with students creating fake Facebook pages pretending to be a teacher or administrator at our school. When you hide behind another identity, it is easy to say things you would never say outloud if people knew who you were.

I have joined many educational Facebook sites and have really been helped by ideas and lessons that teachers all over the world have created.

I tried the twitter today and I guess I don't get it-I am just now getting the hang of texting and I don't have a smart phone so I honestly don't see myself using this.
I can see how this would help a student who is out from school-they could get the jist of a lesson and keep up-plus they could be part of the lesson by responding.

It is a brave new world and I am trying to keep up!

1 comment:

  1. I'm on facebook but I have a "no student" policy. I don't invite students to my house to hang out, so why hang out with them online? Plus, it just doesn't look good. I have a Twitter account, but it's no fun because if nobody is following you there is no reason to post. I think it is more for the celebrities because they have millions of followers and it's fun for us normal people to see what they're saying. I followed some celebs for a while, but then got bored of it. I think Twitter is the celeb version of facebook. However, you can also follow politics and stores and such on both Twitter and facebook...

    ReplyDelete